(月)

60 ROUND WOOD TABLE. WOOD TABLE


60 ROUND WOOD TABLE. TEAK INDOOR DINING TABLE. COUNTRY SOFA TABLES



60 Round Wood Table





60 round wood table






    round
  • Give a round shape to

  • Alter (a number) to one less exact but more convenient for calculations

  • a charge of ammunition for a single shot

  • Pass and go around (something) so as to move on in a changed direction

  • wind around; move along a circular course; "round the bend"

  • from beginning to end; throughout; "It rains all year round on Skye"; "frigid weather the year around"





    table
  • Postpone consideration of

  • Present formally for discussion or consideration at a meeting

  • a set of data arranged in rows and columns; "see table 1"

  • a piece of furniture having a smooth flat top that is usually supported by one or more vertical legs; "it was a sturdy table"

  • postpone: hold back to a later time; "let's postpone the exam"





    wood
  • forest: the trees and other plants in a large densely wooded area

  • The hard fibrous material that forms the main substance of the trunk or branches of a tree or shrub

  • A golf club with a wooden or other head that is relatively broad from face to back (often with a numeral indicating the degree to which the face is angled to loft the ball)

  • the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees

  • United States film actress (1938-1981)

  • Such material when cut and used as timber or fuel





    60
  • sixty: the cardinal number that is the product of ten and six

  • sixty: being ten more than fifty

  • Country Code: +60 International Call Prefix: 00











Battle of the Bulge: the tank attack in Hemroulle




Battle of the Bulge: the tank attack in Hemroulle





On December 25th, the Germans attacked in force in Hemroulle and it led to an incredible fight involving skirmish lines made up of artillerymen, cooks and others.

This picture goes along with the following story I picked off the internet. This is the area to the east of the road from Champs to Hemroulle. Tank destroyers of the 705th came in from this area and these woods to the right to join C Company of the 502nd which was off to the right . A Company was well off to the left


Here is a story I pulled off the internet

Just as the first light of Christmas morning broke, the S-2 of the 1st Battalion, First Lieutenant Samuel B. Nickels, Jr., came at a dead run into the chateau where the Headquarters, 502d, was. "There are seven enemy tanks and lots of infantry coming over the hill on your left," he said.16 He had first sighted them moving along parallel to the ridge southwest of Hemroulle. (Plate 36.) They were striking toward the ground where the 502d and 327th joined hands.17

The Rolle Chateau was emptied almost before Lieutenant Nickels had finished speaking. Cooks, clerks, radio men and the chaplains collected under Captain James C. Stone, the 502d headquarters commandant, and rushed west to the next hill.18 From the chateau gate at Rolle, the road dips down through a deep swale then rises onto the ridge where it joins the main road into Hemroulle, about two miles northwest of Bastogne. The road line is on high ground all the way until just before it reaches Hemroulle where it drops down again to the village.19 Captain Stone's scratch headquarters force ran across the swale and took up firing positions close to the road and facing westward.20 Within a few minutes they were joined by the men of the regiment's wounded who were able to walk. Major Douglas T. Davidson, the regimental surgeon of the 502d, had run to the chateau stable that was serving as a temporary hospital, rallied his patients, handed them rifles and then led them out against the tanks.21

They could see the tanks coming on toward them now. From the archway of Rolle Chateau it was about 600 yards to the first line of German armor. (Plate 38.) Colonels Chappuis and Cassidy and the radio operator looked westward from the archway and could see just the outline of the enemy movement in the dim light. They were now the only men at the headquarters.22

Colonel Cassidy called Major Hanlon and told him to leave Company B where it was but to get the company ready to protect its own rear and then try to get Company C faced to the west to meet the German tanks as they came on.23

The 327th Glider Infantry was already engaged. At 0500 Colonel Harper had heard by phone from Company A of his 3d Battalion that 18 enemy tanks were formed for attack just east of Mande-St.-Etienne.24 At 0710 the German armor supported by infantry of the 77th Grenadier Regiment smashed through the positions held by Companies A and B.25 In coming through the companies, the tanks fired all their guns and the German infantrymen riding the tanks blazed away with their rifles. The spearpoint of the German armor had already broken clear through to the battalion command post.26 At the 327th regimental headquarters Colonel Harper heard by telephone of the breakthrough, and on the heels of that message came word from Lieut. Colonel Cooper that his 463d Parachute Field Artillery Battalion already had the German tanks under fire.27 At 0715 Colonel Allen, the 3d Battalion (327th) commander, called and said that the tanks were right on him.

Harper asked, "How close?"

"Right here!" answered Allen. "They are firing point-blank at me from 150 yards range. My units are still in position but I've got to run." But Colonel Allen's battalion had not been wholly taken by surprise. "Tanks are coming toward you!" Captain Preston E. Towns, commanding Company C, had telephoned to Allen.

"Where?" Allen had asked.

"If you look out your window now," said Captain Towns, "you'll be looking right down the muzzle of an 88."28

Christmas Day was just then breaking. Colonel Allen stayed at his 3d Battalion, 327th, command post only long enough to look out of his window, and prove what Towns had told him, and to call Colonel Harper and tell him he was getting out. Then he ran as fast as he could go and the German tanker fired at him as he sprinted toward the woods. He could see the muzzle blasts over his shoulder in the semidarkness. But all of the shots were leading him. The Germans were giving him credit for more speed than his legs possessed.

Two members of Allen's staff followed him. As they all came out of the other end of the woods, men of Colonel Chappuis' 502d Parachute Infantry along the ridge road saw them and promptly

162
pinned them down with heavy rifle fire. The three then crawled back to the woods, circled south through a little valley and returned to Hemroulle.

As they came out of the woods











Magen David Synagogue




Magen David Synagogue





Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States

The brick, neo-Romanesque Revival style Magen David Synagogue in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn was designed by architect Maurice Courland and was constructed in 1920-21 for New York's flourishing Syrian-Jewish community.

This close-knit group had begun immigrating to the United States during the first decade of the twentieth century and within ten years their improving economic situation enabled them to move away from Manhattan's crowded Lower East Side and Williamsburg, Brooklyn to more spacious suburban surroundings.

For more than twenty years, this handsome building, with its varied brick patterns, its colorful and carefully-sited round-arched windows, its Middle-Eastern motifs, and its unusual roof arrangement, was the centerpiece of life for this Orthodox Jewish community. The Magen David Synagogue continues to hold a special place as the "mother" synagogue constructed for this group although many Syrian Jews have moved out of the area to Midwood, Gravesend, and the Jersey Shore.

This building is the location of funerals for members of this community, even for those who have moved away, and serves as a concrete reminder of a vibrant and growing group in its search for the American dream of religious freedom and economic improvement.

The Syrian-Jewish Community of New York

Most Syrian-Jews in New York came from the northern Syrian towns of Damascus and Aleppo where Jews have lived since the Roman era. The Jewish population of this town increased significantly after the Jewish expulsion from Spain in the 16th century, and by the beginning of the 20th century it included many thousands of Jews.

Religious practices there were influenced by this incursion of people from Spain, as well as by the proximity to Arab cultures; Arabic was spoken at home, and Hebrew for prayers. This culture was called Sephardic, as distinguished from the Ashkenazic Jews who came from Eastern Europe.

Beginning primarily in 1907-08, thousands of these Syrian Jews were motivated to immigrate to New York because of their country's shifting political landscape, the threat of conscription into the Turkish army, and economic opportunity. These people were poor, but not persecuted, and many left their homeland reluctantly, with a strong desire to maintain their culture and heritage.

This goal was made easier by the fact that their language and customs were so different from the large numbers of recently-arrived Eastern European Jews living on New York's Lower East Side.

The Syrian-Jewish community started out in the same neighborhood, with most men working as peddlers and later, as they prospered, shopkeepers. By 1911-12, they were able to rent rooms in a loft building on Orchard Street to serve as their first synagogue, ShaareSedek.

By 1918, the Syrian-Jewish community in New York had grown to 4-5,000 people, and through mutual help and hard work, their economic condition had also improved. They moved as a group to Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where they stayed for four years, directly across the river from their places of business in Manhattan.

The completion of the Sea Beach line of the BMT subway in 1914 opened the previously rural sections of Brooklyn to suburban settlement and by 1919, Syrian-Jewish families began moving to Bensonhurst, where large amounts of cheap land were available.

The rest of the community soon followed, settling near Twentieth Avenue, between 60u' and 72nd Streets.

History of the Magen David Synagogue

A group of the first Syrian Jews to arrive in Bensonhurst founded the Magen David (meaning Shield or Star of David) Congregation, which was officially chartered by the state of New York in 1919. At first their religious services were held in the basement of an Ashkenazic synagogue on 66th Street, but soon they were able to purchase a nearby rowhouse on 66th Street between 19th and 20th Avenues.

A huge influx of new immigrants from Syria around 1919, created a further need for new facilities.

Asian and Salha Chalom, members of the Syrian-Jewish community, purchased a lot on 67"' Street in October, 1919.3 The next year they donated the property to the Magen David Congregation to build a new synagogue.

The cornerstone for the new building was laid on September 12,1920 and it was opened and dedicated on December 21, 1921.

The congregation hired architect Maurice Courland to design the new building. A Jewish architect who came from the Middle East, Courland specialized in synagogues and school buildings. For the Magen David Congregation, the group required a sanctuary large enough to accommodate at least 500 worshipers, to serve for many years to come.

Maurice Courland

Maurice Courland (1892-1957), a native of Palestine, was educated at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris and at City College in New York. He practiced architecture in Buenos Aires and then established himself professionally in New York in 1919. In the late 1920









60 round wood table







Similar posts:

iron glass cocktail table

dining room table runner

round antique tables

60 round dining room tables

counter height pub tables

queen anne dining table and chairs

light wood console table

mission style coffee tables

deco coffee tables



 

Comment


 

Comment is pending approval.

Comment is pending administrator's approval.

2017/08/15(Tue) | | | Edit